Career Considerations for Estheticians and Nail Technicians
Love for Esthetics. Passion for Skin Science Education.
Students interested in pursuing a career in Aesthetics should consider all aspects of such a decision. Students who want to become professionals in this field must:
- Have finger dexterity and a sense of form and artistry
- Enjoy dealing with the public and be able to follow a client’s direction
- Keep up to date on the latest aesthetic techniques and technological innovations
- Work long hours while building a personal clientele in order to earn your desired income
- Make a strong commitment to the educational process and complete the course of study
- Learn the skills necessary to operate a personal business
Applicants and students should be aware that:
- The work can be arduous and physically demanding with long hours.
- There will be exposure to various chemicals and fumes that may cause allergic reactions or could be harmful if used incorrectly.
- The practice of safety and infection control is essential for effective and successful performance within the industry.
- Methods of compensation vary and may include straight salary, salary plus commission, straight commission, sliding scale commission, retail commission or independent contracting (renting space and equipment from an existing salon or spa).
- As per the Virginia Administrative Code – 18VAC41-70-280. Grounds for license revocation, probation, or suspension; denial of application, renewal or reinstatement; or imposition of a monetary penalty. The board may, in considering the totality of the circumstances, fine any licensee, certificate holder, or temporary license holder, and suspend, place on probation, or revoke or refuse to renew or reinstate any license, certificate, or temporary license, or deny any application issued under the provisions of Chapter 7 (§ 54.1-700 et seq.) of Title 54.1 of the Code of Virginia and the regulations of the board, and would therefore preclude an individual from obtaining employment in the field for which training is provided.
Excellence in Esthetics and Nail Technician Licensing Training in Virginia, Maryland & Washington DC.