Massage Training Program
Level 1 – Foundations & Core Learning
Love for Massage. Passion for Excellence in Massage Education.
The Level 1 (Foundations/Core Learning) massage training program consists of 178 total hours which is broken down as follows: 100 lecture hours and 78 hands-on hours.
This is this first of four levels in the massage therapy program and lays the foundation for students in basic, fundamental knowledge. Prior to the end, students will be fully prepared to perform a basic, full-body massage, from intake to completion. Additionally topics include body systems, anatomy, physiology, chair massage, and documentation. This level concludes with the first round of clinic rotations and a practical test.
Pre-requisites – one professional massage session from faculty member (at students cost, not included in tuition.)
- Intro/Foundations/History-to-Present – 6 hours (6/0): introduces students to the school, massage therapy as an art and science and provides background information.
- Body Mechanics – 6 hours (3/3): here, students learn the importance of, and techniques for, proper body mechanics.
- Anatomy I, Physiology I – 20 hours (16/4): this course covers the first of three, introducing students to anatomy and physiology basics, as well as the relation to massage therapy. Muscular and skeletal system are introduced.
- Contraindications I & Intake Procedures – 5 hours (4/1): this course teaches when to avoid massage and/or how to proceed in special circumstances. Proper interviewing of clients, and necessary steps to begin a massage treatment are learned and practiced.
- Medical Terminology & Charting – 8 hours (7/1): this course teaches basic medical terminology, how it relates to massage therapy, as well as how to document sessions and information properly.
- Systems of the Body (40) & Intro to Pathology (10) – 50 hours (50/0): this course fully covers all 11 systems of the body, their effect on the person, and introduces pathology and its relation to massage therapy. Basic concepts are covered such as disease and transmission.
- Massage Prepping, Set-up, Supplies – 15 hours (12/3): here, students learn how to prepare for providing a massage session and what they need to successfully complete one. Topics on alternatives are addressed.
- Swedish Massage I – 50 hours (1/49): students learn a full protocol for a basic, full-body Swedish massage, and practice it to proficiency.
- Chair Massage I – 6 hours (1/5): students learn how to conduct a 10-20+ minute chair massage safely and effectively, and practice.
- Clinic Rotations I – 12 hours (0/12): here, students are charged with implementing their learned techniques of full-body standard Swedish massage on the general public within the student clinic.
We are located across the street from the Silver Line Reston Metro Station (Wiehle-Reston East Metro Station) in Reston VA, and within 30 minute drive time of Washington DC, Maryland and Northern Virginia.
Excellence in Massage Training & Licensing in Virginia, Maryland & Washington DC.